Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Great Alfredo


Tale of a Tough Rider

I had a remarkable time on the Montauk 145 miler, starting at Penn Station. First thing that stood out was the early departure. Previous Penn Station Montauks had the 145 milers wait on line and got moving between 5:30-6AM. This time I got there after 4:30AM and riders, the 145 milers, left right away. And the Babylon-bound dismounted cyclists were about to board the train.
Montauk is usually my first long distance ride of the year. I've been cycling it since 1993, when it was a 125 mile ride then. I am comfortable riding with someone or on my own. This time I rode mostly on my own.
Riding solo is like a boxer in a match with his opponent. You train hard, get encouragement and advice, but you have to go the ring alone to fight. In my case my "opponent" was the unknown, self-doubts, possible mechanicals. Overcoming them and getting to the finish was the goal. And you have to be attentive to the route so you can go the right way on course.

Arrived at the Lynbrook rest stop before 8AM. 5BBC President Jesse Brown and 5BBC leader Julie Cohen took care of the food, water and good cheer. Again, I met several of the cyclists who rode on the fabled Stony Point training ride from April 19, like the European, Alex and the Dominican, Henry, who was accompanied by a comely blond cyclist. At Penn Station, I saw Delah Del Prado & others. There were several riders speeding past me as I went through Brooklyn . But some got lost and off the course. The seemingly lack of visibility of the Montauk street markings might have something to do it with (compounded with previous rains, which may have dim the luster of seeing them). But the cue sheet, if properly used, made the difference. Or asking directions from kindly neighborhood by-standers (e.g. like the Latino gentleman passerby on the unmarked/unsigned Flushing Ave. turn) kept me on course. Getting lost was a concept I didn't encounter throughout. Coming off Penn Station, I saw Henry for the last time with his comely blond cycling companion. They took their time waiting for their bikes. The last thing Henry said to me was I should get a lighter bike

No comments: